Former San Francisco Mayor and current Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom is getting ready for his candidacy for California governor by pushing gun control by way of a ballot initiative. Misnamed as the Safety for All Act of 2016, this is Newsom’s attempt to pass himself off as a crime fighter and get his name more known. His ballot initiative calls for the following:
- Instituting a total, confiscatory ban on the possession of large-capacity magazines, even legally owned “grandfathered” magazines and those that are possessed by active and retired law enforcement officers.
- Adding severe and expensive new restrictions on ammunition purchases, including a mandatory Department of Justice (DOJ) ammunition purchase permit for anyone who wants to buy ammunition, a ban on private ammunition sales and a gun-owner database of ammunition purchasers.
- A ban on the private purchase and importation of ammunition from out-of-state retailers.
- Requiring all ammunition sellers to acquire a special DOJ ammunition sales permit and to have every employee that handles or sells ammunition to have a DOJ-issued “ertificate of eligibility.”
- A $25 million theft of fees paid by gun owners to fund the new DOJ ammunition program.
Newsom’s attempt at gun control comes from bills that failed to pass the Legislature or were vetoed by Gov. Jerry Brown, whom he felt were too draconian even in California. Even liberal groups accuse Newsom of using this as a means to merely further his political aspirations. Reject this excessive measure if it gets on the ballot.
by Jerry Avalos